The AVP, Taxation is responsible for the overall Income tax reporting, current tax positions and strategic tax planning for the public REIT and related partnerships to mitigate tax risk and ensure company compliance on a Federal, State and Local level for both public and private (100+) entities. Responsibilities also include analyzing day to day transactions for the purpose of ensuring REIT compliance, as well as planning, evaluating and projecting the tax implications for the REIT and its related entities.
A real estate investment trust that invests in a diversified portfolio of multifamily and commercial real estate related bridge and mezzanine loans, preferred equity investments, mortgage related securities and other real estate related assets.
Requirements / Qualifications:
The AVP, Taxation has full responsibility for tax matters relating to any of the REIT’s businesses.
This includes the following duties and responsibilities, and is not limited to:
- Coordination and completion of the REIT’s interim and year-end federal, state and local income tax provisions, including deferred tax analysis and analysis of uncertain tax positions, in accordance with ASC 740.
- Prepare and review tax disclosures for Form 10-Q/10-K filings with the SEC and communicate results to management.
- Review and completion of REIT compliance testing on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Ensure adequate internal controls are implemented and tax processes are effective for financial statement preparations.
- Review and approve for filing – various REIT and related entity federal, state and local income tax returns for C-corporations, partnerships and LLC’s.
- Research tax code, regulations, case law and other authorities with respect to projected transactions and legal and tax structures to support the REIT’s business planning.
- Review quarterly federal, state and local estimated installment and annual extension calculations.
- Prepare and review state and local apportionment methodologies and serve as a tax technical resource on various federal, state and local tax matters.
- Manage state and local tax notices and assist with tax audit examinations, as necessary.
- Interaction with external service providers and internal departments on pending transactions and with internal departments for data/source material retrieval.
- 8 – 10 years relevant tax experience with an emphasis on Real Estate Finance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting; Master’s degree in taxation or equivalent a plus
- CPA desirable
- Strong knowledge of corporate taxation and state and local taxation required
- Understanding of general accounting concepts required
- Strong PC skills, including tax compliance and research software
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Solid project management skills with ability to multi-task
- Excellent organizational and oral/written communication skills
- Strong teamwork and people skills