The Valuation Specialist will perform a range of analytical, review and documentation procedures surrounding the valuation of alternative investment positions (including but not limited to derivatives, listed, & structured products) and verify their accuracy via independent third party systems and processes.
Investment Management Firm.
- Assist the firm in developing and evaluating written valuation processes and procedures, conducting periodic reviews of the valuation framework, and evaluating the overall fairness and consistent application of the valuation policies
- Perform in depth analysis of valuation issues and communicate findings to senior stakeholders
- Provide management with valuation updates and partner with various business units to enforce valuation control
- Perform several valuation checks and procedures (including: reliability checks/due diligence on third-party pricing providers, review of single sources, threshold testing, validation of manager overrides, back-testing and documentation of exceptions)
- Perform valuation analysis on a wide range of liquid and illiquid investments broadly distributed across industries and geographies while using accepted and relevant approaches and theory
- Review financial models such as DCF, market comparable, market transaction and Black-Scholes
- Coordinate the independent valuation & verification of the portfolio on a monthly/quarterly basis, with prices obtained independent of the front office to the extent possible
- Coordinate pricing requests and initiating price challengers with broker/dealers and other third-party pricing sources
- Facilitate to resolve price disputes
- Review and highlight to management month/quarter-end prices that exceed tolerance thresholds
- Assist the fund accounting team in performing a reconciliation to ensure that approved pricing is ultimately used in the calculation of the net asset value
- Liaise with colleagues across the firm (front, middle and back office) to better understand and document rationale and evidence of fair value
- Work with information technology to develop strategic work flows that integrate and optimize the flow of information
Requirements / Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or MBA
- Minimum of 3-4 years of applying and reviewing valuation models including: DCF, comparable company, forecasts and various derivatives models
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong working knowledge of various financial products including derivative contracts, dealer traded securities and ASC 820 fair value hierarchy
- Knowledge of various software applications including Bloomberg, MS Excel (including graphing), Python, etc.
- Comfort interacting with those who possess intense product knowledge but also with those who are relatively unfamiliar with those products, to effectively bridge understanding
- Demonstrated ability to connect, collaborate and communicate effectively
- Performance mindset – both “do” job and “improve” job